Les Organisation du El Diplomatique
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BJJ Experiences (Journal)

2 posters

Go down

BJJ Experiences (Journal) Empty BJJ Experiences (Journal)

Post by Fakhri Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 am

(intro)

Bismillahir-Rahmaanir-Raheem.

Assalamu Alaikum warahmatullah.
Peace be upon you, and the Mercy of God (Allah).

As mentioned to you, my brother, Aj2/Chained Rider / Abu General / Forum manager (?)...
...This is my BJJ, training journal. Nothing fancy. Just a note of my progress and sessions as a complete beginner to Brazilian Jiu-jitsu or any kind of martial art/combat sport.

If you're reading, maybe you've done Bjj or something similar in the past, maybe you're thinking of taking it up, or maybe you're just curious to know what it's like...

In any case, I'll get to the point, InshaaAllah:

Background:

None, as mentioned above. Just a number of years of mostly on and off weight training which started off as an aid in losing a lot of weight, and ended up becoming a very helpful activity for myself in a number of ways, alhamdulillah.

Height: 6 ft
Weight: mid 80s (kg)

Training environment

Smallish space, nothing much other than just mats. Around 12 to fifteen of us plus the Instructor, all of us Ikhwaan fil Islaam, alhamdulillah, so ideal for a Muslim.

There are four five purple belts, similar number of blue belts and a similar number of white belts, too.

Some of the white belts (lowest belt) have been training for years and are still white Neutral . Hopefully that's down to a lack of consistency in training because it doesn't give off optimistic vibes at all if not!

Fakhri
General Of The Legion
General Of The Legion

Diplomatic Points : 1

Back to top Go down

BJJ Experiences (Journal) Empty Re: BJJ Experiences (Journal)

Post by Fakhri Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 am

Session 1

Personal prep

After a half session where my training uniform (Gi) had not yet arrived by post, my first actual session was on last Thursday.

I'd spent a bit of time looking up and watching videos for info on tips for beginner white belts. A lot of material online but most of it didn't apply during the actual session.

I arrived a little late, prayed 'Ishaa at the Masjid adjacent to where we train, alhamdulillah, and went up to make my entrance in my shiftily tied belt freshly bought gi. Happily, the brothers hadn't started either and were just putting out mats, some doing stretches, chatting, etc.

Warm up
The warm up was short, some star jumps, pressups, various rolls and shuffles on the mat, then we (white belts) were taken to a side to be taught a few things by a very nice purple belt brother, alhamdulillah.

The session (drilling and sparring)
A few basic moves (armbars) to execute when in the full guard position (on your back with your opponent in an apparently advantageous (above you) position, but with your legs locked around his back.

This is meant to be a very strong position for a person in BJJ, though it doesn't appear so to someone unfamiliar with the sport.

We had a period of drilling these manauvers with partners then began sparring - or rolling as they like to call it. For me, with everyone being far, far advanced than myself (a complete beginner), it did feel like being thrown in without much of a clue, but, alhamdulillah, a few of brothers were very helpful in talking me through things during some of the sparring sessions.

Problems
The dilemma for me was that it felt as though I was just wasting their time, and sometimes I sensed reluctance in the brothers wanting to face me during the sparring rounds each time we swapped partners.

So, without much else to go on but a few moves I'd just learned and what amount of physical strength I have, I decided to make them at least feel like they were getting a workout  - and I'm quite sure I did what I'd been told to not do and read about not doing - namely, spazzing out. :]

Spazzing out / going on a bit of a reckless rampage

As the name implies, not a very well looked upon thing to do, but I did it anyway. Essentially, just using strength to fight off, overpower whoever I was facing. There are big, heavy guys there, some average and some quite slender.

Many you wouldn't consider to be trained /Training in anything just by looking, but alhamdulillah, even if they are out of shape or slight in their build, they know what they are doing (as I discovered in my next session!)

Seeing as I was a beginner, I was given the advantage of blue belts not being allowed to submit me - instead, we were to vie for advantageous positions and try to hold those positions.

I'm not sure what exactly triggered it, but somewhere along the way, I just decided to go all out - from controlled aggression to full force. For sure, there was a thrill in just exerting that energy and power, though I was always sure to not do anything else other than physically wrestle down my sparring partners. Sure enough, though, within a few rounds I was exhausted and breathing very very hard with my head pounding furiously.

I'd done a heavy session of weights earlier in the day and that had left me somewhat drained anyway...Not a nice feeling, like your head is about to burst, on the verge of passing out?

There was one blue belt in particular, who seemed quite loud and rude (he is a nice brother, alhamdulillah, I found out later, just that English is not his first language and he has quite a loud voice), who I spent a good amount time going at it with.

One white belt I managed to submit with a shoulder lock from side control (?) that I'd just learned earlier, but I was too tired the next time to exert any meaningful resistance. Neutral

Alhamdulillah, all in all, it was a good first session where I got a feel for things, had a bit of fun going a little bit wild with the all out wrestling, but I also learned that I definitely needed to not use up all my energy by using strength so much.

Fakhri
General Of The Legion
General Of The Legion

Back to top Go down

BJJ Experiences (Journal) Empty SESSION 2: Anti-spazz & Deception of Size

Post by Fakhri Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:50 pm

In contrast to the first session, I decided for my next it was better to conserve energy and focus on learning techniques, rather than using strength and gassing out early on in the sparring. Thus, it was the a session where I was more or less submitted over and over again, by almost all I went up against. Not that I wasn't able to resist, it was a conscious decision on my part to take it easy and go with the flow.

By the end of it, ironically, I felt as though I hadn't much learned anything other than what it feels like to be tapped out by guys bigger, guys smaller, by anyone and everyone. I did, though, have a bit of time where our instructor gave me some advice on what to focus on. I mentioned I wanted to avoid using strength and to focus on learning developing technique... His answer was a little surprising.
"Use your strength, eventually you'll start learning the techniques."

Neutral .... It wasn't what I was expecting, but I guess he wanted me to learn naturally, for me to learn through practice the lessons, where and when I could apply strength.

What I did notice was that some of the brothers were  appreciative of me not making every sparring match about overpowering people - which made sense. No one wanted to go home injured, including myself. They were also a little warmer in their general behaviour, it seemed. Alhamdulillah. Another thing I came home with was the realisation that there were some, or one brother in particular, who was to the eyes, quite harmless looking and thin, but he was strong and very good.

A blue belt but it seemed like he was probably better than that, as he tied me up in so many ways and so quickly, I could only laugh at what was happening. Yes, I didn't go full out, but I saw enough from the brother to see that he was deceptively strong and that his technique and agility was more than enough to see him come out on top. It was a good reminder for me, Alhamdulillah, and an encouragement / appreciation of BJJ.

(And yes, I was able to make it through the whole session of sparring without sitting out more than anyone else, so that in itself was was something.)

Fakhri
General Of The Legion
General Of The Legion

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:12 am

Assalamualaikum bro sorry I haven't been online for a while and thanks for keeping your bjj journal on the site . I'm sure it'll help you readers to kind of maybe start those classes they have been thinking of joining or retrain again.  I need to start training  again. Stopped for   a while with work and stuff . Used to have a crazy schedule with four five days a week ,boxing Kung Fu & mmahich included Judo and wrestling . Another thing is my body is plagued with injuries and seems I'm more prone to them now. Lol. Getting older.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Diplomatic Points : 0

https://eldiplomat.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum